Surprise Me!

Trial resumes for ship captain accused in deaths

2013-07-17 104 Dailymotion

The captain of the Costa Concordia is back in an Italian court on charges of manslaughter.<br/> <br />Francesco Schettino's trial resumed Wednesday after being delayed by an unrelated lawyers' strike earlier this month.<br/> <br />The 52-year-old captain is accused of abandoning the cruise ship while crew members and passengers were still onboard when it ran aground off Italy's coast in January 2012.<br/> <br />The disaster claimed 32 lives.<br/> <br />Schettino's defence team said he is not the only culpable party, though he is the only person facing trial after Costa Concordia settled potential charges with a 1 million-euro fine.<br/> <br />(SOUNDBITE) (Italian) SCHETTINO DEFENCE LAWYER, FRANCESCO PEPE, SAYING:<br/> <br />"He has never shied away from his responsibilities. But it is only fair that he is treated justly with the responsibilities of a captain. This is something we have been very clear about.."<br/> <br />Among those attending the trial is Domnica Cemortan, who says she was with Schettino at the time of t

Buy Now on CodeCanyon