Surprise Me!

Six Aid Workers Are Killed in South Sudan Ambush

2017-03-27 9 Dailymotion

Six Aid Workers Are Killed in South Sudan Ambush<br />By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSMARCH 26, 2017<br />NAIROBI, Kenya — Six aid workers were ambushed and killed over the weekend in South Sudan, a United Nations official<br />said, the deadliest attack on humanitarian workers since the East African nation’s civil war began in 2013.<br />The attack took place Saturday on the road from Juba, the capital, to Pibor, where there have been recent reports of fighting,<br />Eugene Owusu, the top United Nations humanitarian official in South Sudan, said in a statement issued Sunday.<br />South Sudan’s government agreed to enact the cease-fire in response to pressure from East African countries<br />during a regional summit meeting in Nairobi, according to a joint statement issued after the meeting.<br />The cease-fire and amnesty was immediately rejected by Mabior Garang, a spokesman for the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-in-Opposition, who called it "silly" and a "nonstarter." Alan Boswell, a researcher of South Sudan based in Nairobi, suggested<br />that the South Sudanese government had created the food crisis.<br />At least 12 aid workers have been killed so far this year, and 79 since the civil war began in 2013, the statement said.<br />Sudan and Uganda continue to be key entry points for weapons into South Sudan, according to<br />a report by a United Nations panel of experts that was obtained by The Associated Press.

Buy Now on CodeCanyon