Ghana Court Rejects Resettlement of Guantánamo Bay Detainees<br />On Thursday, the Supreme Court justices ruled that Ghana’s government, then led by President John Dramani Mahama, erred in approving the detainees’ transfer, saying<br />that the agreement with the United States was an international one that required approval by members of Parliament.<br />Last year, Ghana signed an agreement with the United States to allow the two detainees, Khalid Mohammed Salih al-Dhuby<br />and Mahmmoud Omar Mohammed Bin Atef, both citizens of Yemen, to resettle in Ghana.<br />Chief Justice Sophia Akuffo said that unless the government submitted the agreement to Parliament<br />for approval within three months, the two men would be returned to the United States.<br />The two were captured by Afghan forces in late 2001<br />and turned over to the United States, and detained at the American prison in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, as enemy combatants for 14 years, accused of being members of Al Qaeda.<br />Mr. Mahama, who was president at the time the deal was struck, had said<br />that the two men did not present a security threat and that the United States had directly requested that Ghana accept them for resettlement.<br />By NANA BOAKYE-YIADOMJUNE 22, 2017<br />ACCRA, Ghana — The Supreme Court of Ghana ruled Thursday<br />that the government’s decision to allow two former Guantánamo Bay detainees to live in the country was unconstitutional.